We have been asked by many parents and community members if we can help provide them with resources about WE-SIDE and a culture of belonging for all. With this request in mind, we have put together some resources below that those of you who are interested in doing so might consider. It is your choice.
Again, at school, our WE-SIDE mission is simply "belonging for all." No one resource listed below contains the lone perspective that works for Westside or the single blueprint that shapes everyone’s sense of belonging. The specific views and opinions expressed directly within the content of the resources we have provided below belong solely to each author/affiliated organization. These resources are merely tools that help us consider a wider range of perspectives in our quest to make sure that we live up to our WE-SIDE mission. We continue to work on ways to strengthen our school district culture through kindness, support, and appreciation for all.
- All Means All: Inclusion & Education
- Inclusion Makes the World More Vibrant
- The Labels We Carry
- Blind Spots: Challenge Assumptions
- Race, Racism & Identity | PBS Kids
- The True Meaning of Being Empathetic
- The Science of Kindness
- Offering Empathy at School
WEBSITES & ARTICLES:
- Disability Awareness Activities
- Books to Help Us Talk to Kids About Religion & Spirituality
- Global Learning Resources for Kids
- Teaching Young Children About Diversity
- Taking to Kids about Race & Racism
- Talking to Young Children About Race & Racism
- Fostering the Sense of Belonging Promotes Success
- Resources for LGBTQ Youth & Families
- Parent-to-Parent Peer Support for Parents of Children with a Disability
- Raising Anti-Racist Children
- Strategies to Make Tough Conversations More Effective
- 10 Great Reads for Kids about Disabilities
- 11 Books that Embrace Disabilities & Differences
- Mindsight: Transform Your Brain with the New Science of Empathy (by Daniel J. Siegel)
- So You Want to Talk About Race (by Ijeoma Ouluo)
CONVERSATION & DISCUSSION STARTERS:
- What is your definition of belonging? What does it mean to you?
- Where do you feel the greatest sense of belonging? Why do you think that is?
- What are some things we can do to positively affect a sense of belonging for all?
- What does it mean to be "different" from someone else?
- How can we get to know those who are different from us a little better?
- Share how you have helped someone feel welcome.