WHS Clubs and Activities
Westside High School offers nearly 60 clubs and activities intended to appeal to and serve the interests of a wide variety of students.
AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY CLUB Sponsor: Mr. Trevor Reeh
- The purpose of the African American History Club is to help students of all races celebrate, embrace, and expand their knowledge of African American history and culture. Our goal is to provide social support while fostering student development and success through cultural awareness. Each meeting provides students with a safe place to talk about and share personal experiences and questions they may have about African American history as well as address and discuss cultural and social issues surrounding African Americans in our country. The club is open to all WHS students who are interested in learning more about the history, traditions and customs of African Americans.
BAND Sponsor: Mr. Tommy Krueger
- This activity is included in our regular curriculum. Extensions of this activity include Marching Band, Ensembles, Pep Band and Concert Jazz Band. Performances, presentations, and programs are presented throughout the school year.
B.I.O.N.I.C. Club Sponsor: Ms. Lauri Cunningham
- B.I.O.N.I.C stands for Believe It Or Not, I Care! The B.I.O.N.I.C Team will help fellow students, families and staff through challenging times. Our goals are to help new students feel welcome. To reach out to hospitalized students. To reach out to students with extended illness/health conditions. To reach out to students and their families, and staff that experience the death of a family member. To prevent bullying. Come and join this National Organization!
CHEERLEADING & DANCE
- Sponsors: Lauren Warnock (Varsity Cheer), Jacey O’Dell (JV Cheer), Amanda Knight (Freshman Cheer), Lisa Butler (Spirit Coordinator), and Katy Bezy Moore (Dance Coach).
- Tryouts for these spirit groups are held each spring.
CIRCLE OF FRIENDS Sponsors: Ms. Katie Healey and Ms. Erin Strasil Larson
- A group of peer mentors who interact and are trained as social role models for students who are socially challenged (ex: invite students to lunch, talk in the hallways, etc.) Peer model training every other week while meeting with focus students and peer models occur weekly. The group may attend school events & community outings throughout the year. Service learning hours are able to be earned.
- Sponsors: Junior Class TBD; Senior Class is led by Mr. Ben Baber
- Voting and selection of junior and senior class officers for the following year are held each Spring. Students interested in being a class officer will need to secure support, be willing to make a presentation to their class, and serve their class in an office capacity for the following year.
COLOR GUARD Sponsor: Mr. Keith Schoening
- Competitive marching flag corps that performs with the band.
COMPETITIVE ATHLETICS Sponsor: Mr. Tom Kerkman, Athletic Director
- Westside High School offers to students the opportunity to try out and participate in 19 varsity sports. A minimum of forty-seven different competitive teams is available for our students. The seasons when these are offered and the procedures for getting involved can be found in the Warrior Bulletin that is published and distributed in August, prior to the opening of school.
- CLICK HERE for a complete list of athletics offerings and additional information.
CYCLING CLUB Sponsor: Mr. Jeremy Stoll
- For those interested in maintaining physical fitness while becoming a faster cyclist in road or mountain biking. There will be regular rides.
DECA Sponsor: Ms. Kalen Carlson
- This organization is an extension of the Marketing Education class. Membership is offered to those students involved in M.E.C. This activity will develop leadership in the area of marketing and management. The club for the current year is formulated at the beginning of school in the fall.
- Click here to visit the Westside Colosseum online, the student-run store for Westside High School merchandise!
DEBATE Sponsor: Mr. Brad Meurrens
- A communications activity that exposes students to a variety of ideas and asks them to take sides for competitive argument. Three kinds of debate are offered for all different types of thinkers and schedules. Season begins in September and lasts for most of the school year. Tournaments are local as well as involving travel around the country. If you have something to say and need a place to say it – find debate and your voice.
E-SPORTS Sponsor: Mr. Brandon Meseure and Mr. Chase Tonkinson
ED RISING Sponsors: Ms. Beth Cosentino and Ms. Lisa Hatch
- Ed Rising is for students that are interested in exploring teaching as a career. We will focus on community service projects related to children and families.
FASHION CLUB Sponsor: Ms. Christi Krist
- A student organization for students interested in fashion. Students will help with the spring Art and Fashion show.
FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) Sponsor: Ms. Lisa Admire
- An association of students who are interested in careers in business related fields.
FISHING CLUB Sponsor: Mr. John Bombac
- This club will give students an opportunity to learn more about fishing techniques, strategies and environmental concepts.
FRENCH CLUB Sponsor: Ms. Anne Johnson
- Designed to foster social and cultural activities related to the French-speaking world.
GENDER SEXUALITY ALLICANCE (GSA) Sponsor: Ms. Liz Hough
- Provides a safe environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, straight, and questioning youth to meet, socialize, and support one another. The club encourages a friendly, tolerant atmosphere for students of all sexual orientations.
GERMAN CLUB Sponsors: Ms. Melissa Roth and Ms. Amber Hollenbeck
- Designed to foster social and cultural activities related to the German-speaking world.
HARVARD MODEL CONGRESS Sponsor: Mr. Jon Preister
- Harvard Model Congress is an activity managed by Harvard students were high school students from around the country participate in a mock congress. There are five Harvard Model Congress locations. Before the congress you will be given an assignment, we will also be given a topic preference form on topics like Armed Services, Ethics, Financial Services and others to prepare the team for the congress. This will be an opportunity for students to learn more about politics and government.
HISTORY CLUB Sponsor: Mr. Kent Putnam
- The purpose of the Interactive Games club is to provide students with a forum to improve their critical thinking, problemsolving and social skills by playing games. The club focuses on board games that involve strategy, collectible and other card games, video games and role-playing games. Club meetings will focus on trying out games that students may not have experience with, playing favorite games, and possibly developing games of their own. Interactive Games is designed to offer students a safe environment to try and enjoy games.
INTERNATIONAL THESPIAN SOCIETY Sponsor: Mr. Jeremy Stoll
- This nationally-known honor society recognizes student achievement and participation in theater. Students must meet induction requirements by performing quality work in theater and relating disciplines. Open to students in grades 9-12. This organization promotes theater participation and strengthens the school plays by providing support.
INTRAMURALS Sponsor: Mr. Tom Kerkman, Athletic Director
- At the present time, basketball is offered during the winter season. Announcements are made so teams can organize prior to the beginning of the season.
- For more information about Competitive Athletics, click here.
JUNIOR CLASSICAL LEAGUE Sponsor: Ms. Carolyn Harvey
- This is a club designed for those students who are taking Latin as a foreign language. This club participates in competitive situations between schools and is involved with state competition as well. Membership begins in the fall of each school year.
LACROSSE Sponsor: Mr. Andrew Mantzaris
- Westside Lacrosse teaches students the fundamentals as well as strategies of quality collegiate lacrosse programs. Coached by former collegiate lacrosse players, the Westside Lacrosse program is a strong contender in the Nebraska High School Lacrosse Association. Join us in the fastest growing sport in the United States.
LOUDER THAN A BOMB CLUB Sponsor: Ms. Carolyn Harvey
- This club offers students a chance to write and share their own original poetry while preparing to compete in a city-wide competition. The club meets once a week year round. Anyone interesting in writing poetry or learning more about poetry slams should join the club!
MEDICAL CLUB Sponsor: Ms. Melanie Essink
- Medical Club is designed to give students who would like to learn more about healthcare related fields an opportunity to explore their interests. Students whoparticipate in this club have the opportunity to learn from guest speakers, student-led activities, and fieldtrip experiences. Medical Club sponsors a Red Cross Blood Drive for eligible Westside students and staff each semester.
MOCK TRIAL Sponsor: Mr. David Bywater
- Students are able to develop the leadership, civility, and effective advocacy skills necessary to confidently proceed in trial.
MU ALPHA THETA Sponsor: Dr. Angela Mosier
- Mu Alpha Theta is a National High School Mathematics Honor Society. As a national organization, we are dedicated to inspiring a keen interest in mathematics, developing strong scholarship in the subject, and promoting the enjoyment of mathematics in high school. To be considered for membership students must have successfully completed Algebra 1 and Geometry by earning "B"s in both courses. Active members must maintain a minimum of a “B” average in all mathematics coursework. Yearly activities include, but are not limited to: Pi Day celebrations, various STEM activities, and participation in national competitions.
NATIONAL ART HONOR SOCIETY Sponsor: Ms. Liz Hough
- NAHS recognizes and inspires students to attain high standards in the area of art. Students will be involved in community and charity art projects, visiting artist and art studios, connecting art to other subject areas at WHS, helping put on an art show, and increasing their own artistic skills. NAHS members will be eligible for scholarship opportunities. See your art teacher for a recommendation.
NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY Sponsor: Ms. Char Weyler
- Westside’s National Honor Society is a chapter of the national organization and is bound by its rules and regulations. Juniors and seniors who have a mark point average of 6.40, have passed all minimum competencies and have no “Incompletes” on their records are eligible for induction into the Society. Selection further depends on consideration of character, leadership, and service. Staff members are given National Honor Society definitions of “character” and “leadership” and are asked to give specific evidence of how any eligible student has not demonstrated these qualities. In addition, students are asked to complete a Student Activity/Service Information Form. School activities/service and community service are recorded by the student and rated by the appropriate sponsor. A total of 15 points on this form is required for induction. A faculty committee will review each student’s qualifications and recommend accordingly.
NEBRASKA SCHOOL ACTIVITIES ASSOCIATION (NSAA)
- Students can compete throughout the state in the following activities: Athletics, Debate, Journalism, Music (band, orchestra, vocal), Play Production, and Speech. State guidelines need to be followed when participating in these NSAA activities.
NEXT CHAPTER BOOK CLUB (NCBC) Sponsors: Mr. Zane Cozad and Ms. Alyssa Smith
- This unique, grant-funded program is a community-based book club provided in collaboration with the Ollie Webb Center. NCBC provides students with special needs and all reading level abilities the opportunity to read, discuss books and socialize while participating in an age-appropriate activity. The NCBC focuses on three major components: Community Inclusion, Social Connectedness and Literacy.
ORCHESTRA Sponsor: Mr. Lanny Stutheit
- This activity is an extension of our regular curriculum. Performances are given periodically throughout the year. Tryouts are held for some special groups within the orchestra. All students signed up for that class have the opportunity to try out.
- High school students serve as camp counselors and leaders for the elementary school Outdoor Education Program. Students may apply to be counselors prior to the Fall Outdoor Ed Program. Counselors are chosen on the basis of character, responsibility, and academic standing.
PROJECT UNIFY Sponsors: Mr. Zane Cozad and Ms. Alyssa Smith
- Project Unify is an extension of Special Olympics, however it is not focused on the athletic events. It is student-led and provides opportunities for positive social interactions. Some club meetings are in school and some are away from the school.
QUIZ BOWL Sponsors: Ms. Holly Weeks and Mr. Jon Allemang
- Warrior Quiz Bowl is a general knowledge trivia club. The club meets weekly during the regular season (Sept. - April). At practice, members compete using a buzzer system to answer questions in math, science, history, English, fine arts, current events, popular culture, sports, and more. Members who perform in the Top 5 participate in varsity level tournaments around the metro area and the surrounding states. We currently participate in both Knowledge Master tournaments and National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT).
PROMOTIONS 66 Sponsors: Mr. Brad Metzler and Mr. Jordan Rhodes
- Student led organization engaging with and creating the ultimate fan experience at Westside events.
RED SHIELD Sponsor: Mr. Tom Kerkman, Athletic Director
- Student body that supports Varsity athletic events through appropriate sportsmanship.
- CLICK HERE to follow Red Shield on Twitter!
REPUBLICAN CLUB Sponsor: Mr. Brian Nemecek
- The Westside Republican Club is a club for students interested in learning about the Republican Party as well as the political process. Club activities include listening to guest speakers, discussion of current events, as well as meeting elected officials. The Westside Republican Club gives Westside students the opportunity to become politically engaged in their community.
ROBOTICS Sponsor: Mr. David Shabram
- Students gain experience in designing and building robotics. Students will also participate in robotic competitions.
RUGBY FOOTBALL CLUB Sponsor: Mr. Matt Bova
- Westside RFC teaches, plays and appreciates the sport of rugby with an emphasis on sportsmanship. WHS RFC plays under Great Plains Rugby Union.
SCIENCE, ENGINEERING & TECHNOLOGY Sponsors: Ms. Judy Stucky and Mr. Ben Powers
- This club will give students a better idea of what science, engineering & technology careers are like. Students will participate in Space Day in cooperation with Lockheed Martin and project-based science and engineering activities.
SERVICE LEARNING COUNCIL Sponsor: Ms. Ashley Sams
- This club provides opportunities to serve the local and national community through service and awareness opportunities within the school, gratifying community outreach events, and an annual Spring Break service trip. Open to all students who want a fun and interesting way to help their community and earn service learning hours.
SKILLSUSA Sponsor: Mr. Paul Cross
- Students will form small groups to participate in career related demonstrations, presentations, tours and hands-on activities to develop skills in computers, technology, welding, networking, construction, automotive, robotics, CNC, architecture, CAD and drafting. Students will prepare for skill and leadership competitions.
SPANISH CLUB Sponsors: Ms. Annelise Blessen and Ms. Amanda Freitag
- Introduces social and cultural activities related to the Spanish-speaking world.
SPANISH NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY Sponsor: Ms. Jennifer Paskach
Students in the society focus on three major projects. Project #1 impacts their school and Project #2 impacts their community and Project #3 impacts the world. For the last several years, Project #1 has been The Spanish Speaking Day in the WHS, Project #2 has been having our Spanish National Honor Society students teach Spanish for six weeks to our elementary school students through Kids Club. Project #3 has changed every year from donating 8 hospital-grade beds to a hospice cancer hospital in El Salvador to equipping a park in Paraguay and donating shoes to kids in Mexico.
SPEECH Sponsors: Ms. Jennifer Paskach and Mr. Chase Martin
- Speech is a competitive activity where students prepare and present poetry, humorous or dramatic cuttings from plays or books, or speeches they have prepared at weekly tournaments. Interpretation (acting) events are Poetry, Dramatic and Humorous interpretation and Duo. Public Address events are Persuasive, Informative, Extemporaneous and Entertainment Speaking. Students can compete at tournaments from November-February/March.
STUDENT COUNCIL Sponsors: Ms. Kate Groth and Ms. Sara Kleinsasser
- Student government which deals with social activities for the student body as well as bringing student concerns to administrators. Members are elected from each class to represent the student body. These elections are held at the same time class officers are elected. Students have an opportunity to submit their names for consideration as an honorary member of the SAB.
STUDENT MENTORING PROGRAM (SMP) Sponsor: Mr. Tyler Foster
- Designed to stimulate high school students’ interest and excitement in engineering, architecture, and related sciences. This is a critical thinking, problem-solving program that engages students to solve real world problems in the community.
ULTIMATE FRISBEE CLUB Sponsor: Mr. Tommy Krueger
- The Ultimate Frisbee Club is a supportive environment for both new and seasoned Ultimate Frisbee players to scrimmage and develop their Frisbee skills. Members learn various styles of Frisbee throwing and catching, as well as Ultimate Frisbee rules and strategies. They have the opportunity to put these skills to use in games against one another as well as students from other schools.
UNIFIED SPORTS Sponsor: Mr. Mark Pokorny
- Special Olympics UNIFY is an education and sportsbased strategy powered by an engaged youth community that increases athletic and leadership opportunities for students with and without intellectual disabilities while creating communities of acceptance for all. Inclusive sports provide youth with and without intellectual disabilities the opportunity to train and play together as teammates. Students develop exceptional athletic skills while forming friendships, fostering respect for each other and becoming leaders on and off the court. Unified bowling is an NSAA sponsored sport in which WHS will compete against other metro high schools. Students will need to complete the physical and code of conduct process like any other NSAA sanctioned sport.
VOCAL MUSIC Sponsor: Mr. Doran Johnson
- This includes courses offered as part of the curriculum. Classes include Warrior Voices, Chorus, Concert Choir and Show Choir. Membership in these activities is determined by enrollment and tryouts.
- CLICK HERE for more information about the Westside Vocal Music Program.
WARRIOR FOOTBALL CLUB Sponsor: Mr. Brett Froendt
- This club encourages and rewards off season strength conditioning training for Warrior football players.
WARRIOR PLANET Sponsor: Ms. Marilynn Mendick
- It is an environmental club with hopes of improving the environment at Westside High School. Students will also learn more about environmental careers.
WARRIOR THEATRE Sponsor: Mr. Jeremy Stoll
- For more information about the Warrior Theatre program at Westside High School, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CLICK HERE to visit the Warrior Theatre website for details on productions and tickets!
- CLICK HERE to follow Warrior Theatre on Twitter!
- CLICK HERE to follow Warrior Theatre on Instagram!
- CLICK HERE to follow Warrior Theatre on Facebook!